Friday, January 8, 2010

Review: Stake That!- by Mari Mancusi



All I want is to be a vampire. But nooo-I have to be Rayne MacDonald, Vampire Slayer....

Sisters. They'll swipe your clothes, your boyfriends, your destiny. But it wasn't exactly my twin Sunny's fault. Magnus, vampire hottie and coven leader, mistook her for me last month and bit her instead. Now they're doing the inter-species dating thing.

But back to me. Turns out that for every generation, there's a Vampire Slayer-and this time around, it just happens to be yours truly. My first mission: infiltrate a seedy vamp bar downtown and expose its vampire owner for purposely spreading a blood disease he created himself. A task almost harder than passing trig.

After going it alone once, I realize I need help. So Magnus sends his hot homey Jareth to go undercover with me. And let me just say I wouldn't mind going under the covers with him. Maybe fate doesn't bite after all...
(Summary from Mari's website.)

In the second book of Mari Mancusi's Blood Coven series, we get a look from a different perspective than in the first. This book is told from the point of view of Rayne McDonald. The first book, Boys that Bite, was told by her twin sister Sunny. Rayne is much different than most people at her high school. She's a Goth girl, who keeps a blog, and likes to play World of Warcraft. Not to mention, she's always wanted to be a vampire, but you can read about that in the first book, though there is a good summary of it in this one. In this book, Rayne finds out she is the Vampire Slayer. Talk about going the opposite way with things.

As the Vampire Slayer, Slayer, Inc. wants her to infiltrate the Blood Bar and track down the owner Maverick, who they think wants to overthrow Sunny's boyfriend, Magnus. They would much rather have a good vampire running things than some evil vampire who would do anything to take over. Rayne can't see a problem with helping Magnus, so she agrees. At the Blood Bar she runs into Jareth, who Magnus has put there, and the two begin working together. It is not a happy partnership though. Jareth is gorgeous, but has some major issues with Slayer, Inc. so things do not start of very great between them.

I was really worried when I started reading this book. The whole thing is told from Rayne's blog, or IMs, or diary entries. One thing I've noticed in the past with books that I've read is that I don't really like reading a lot of books like this, but I was pleasantly surprised. Actually, I ended up liking this book more than the first one. It's got all the angsty teenage emotions, goes into the story of Rayne and Sunny's dad, show's a nice character development in Rayne, and my favorite part.... the twins' mom starts dating and the girls think he's a vampire, so there is a total 80s Lost Boys moment! Loved that!

Blood Coven series in order they should be read:
1. Boys That Bite
2. Stake That!
3. Girls That Growl
4. Bad Blood (Just out January 5th!)

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Hey!
I haven't heard of this series until now and it sounds really good. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
Also, thanks for the sidebar feed of my Kim Harrison contest. Goodluck! :)
P.S Great blog. :D