Thursday, January 14, 2010

Review: Changeling- by Yasmine Galenorn


We're the D'Artigo Sisters: Half-human, half-Faerie, we're savvy--and sexy--operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But our mixed-blood heritage short-circuits our talents at all the wrong times. My sister Camille is a wicked-good witch whose magic is as unpredictable as the weather. My sister Menolly is a vampire trying to get the hang of being undead. And me? I'm Delilah. When I'm under stress, I transform into a tabby cat--and a series of violent murders is really getting me bent out of shape...
"Someone's been slaughtering the Weres of the Rainier Puma Pride, and my sisters and I have been enlisted to investigate by Zachary Lyonnesse, golden boy of the werepumas. Right away we smelled demon trouble, and we tracked it directly into the snare of the Hunters Moon Clan, sworn enemies of Puma Pride. But there's more than Were rivalry at work. It's that old demon Shadow Wing who is setting a deadly snare for the pumas. We have to find out why, which means a visit one to of the Immortals. Unfortunately, for my sisters and me, our half-human blood is just enough to put us in mortal danger."
(Summary from Yasmine Galenorn's website.)

Changeling is the second book in The Otherworld Series, aka The Sisters of the Moon Sereis, by Yasmine Galenorn. Witchling, the first in the series, was narrated by Camille D'Artigo, the oldest sister and witch. Delilah is our narrator this time and she is a shapeshifter, though unlike most feline shifters, instead of shifting into some large predatory cat, she shifts into a long-haired tabby. There's also Menolly, the youngest, who is also a vampire and will have her turn narrating as well.

Even though Delilah is the middle child, she has always been the kind-hearted, optimistic one of the sisters, and this has resulted in her being treated like the baby in the family, which it seems she has finally had enough of. With the Shadow Wing's quest for power and war on the brink in Otherworld, Delilah has been forced to shed some of her optimism and face what is going on around her. Now she is finding more power hidden inside her, though she isn't sure where it's coming from or why.

This is a fast passed story, as was the last. They are trying to solve several murders for the werepumas, but Delilah thinks it has a connection to their larger battle with Shadow Wing. There is plenty of romance in it, but that is not the driving force of the story. A lot of the secondary characters from the last book are in it(woohoo for gorgeous guys!), and there are several new ones as well. It seems the sisters are going to stay true to their fae blood and keep several guys around.

I have enjoyed both books in the series so far. I like the plots, the characters, and the little bits of steaminess thrown in too. However, there is just something that I can't quite put my finger on that holds me back from loving this series. If I figure it out I'll let you know. Maybe I'll figure it out when I read Darkling.

The Otherworld Series in order in which it should be read:
Witchling
Changeling
Darkling
Dragon Wytch
Night Huntress
Demon Mistress
The Shadow of Mist in Never After
Bone Magic
Etched in Silver in Inked

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey hon!

got an award up for you at my blog =))