Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Review: Boys That Bite- by Mari Mancusi


My mom is so going to kill me if she finds out I'm turning into a vampire...

Okay, so technically she can't because I'm immortal. Well, not yet. See, due to the worst case of mistaken identity with my dark-side-loving twin sister at a Goth hangout called Club Fang, Magnus, a vampire hottie, went for my innocent neck instead of hers. Now, if I don't reverse it in time, Magnus will be my blood mate forever and I'm doomed to be a blood-gulping, pasty, daylight-hating vampire. Believe me, it seriously bites!

After the unfortunate slaying of the vampire leader, it's up to me, my sister, and Magnus to find the one thing that can solve my problem--the Holy Grail. No joke. I seriously hope I can get out of this on time because, somehow, I scored the hottest prom date in my school, the mouth-watering Jake Wilder. And I do NOT want to be a vampire for the prom--let alone the rest of eternity.
(Summary from Mari's Website.)

This is the first book in Mari Mancusi's young adult Blood Coven series. It is narrated by Sunshine McDonald, Sunny, a sophomore at Oakridge High School. She feels like a slightly overlooked and rather average teenager, other than the fact that she has an identical twin, Rayne, who is her complete opposite.

What I love throughout this book are several mentions of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a hilarious twisting of that world. So watch out for Bertha the Vampire Slayer everyone! LOL. Speaking of LOL's if you are not up on current slang, you might run into some trouble with this book. Mari does a great job of making this book for the teenage market.

Another thing I like about this book is that before I knew it, I was done with it. It's got a fairly straight on plot, which makes for an easy read, but I still enjoyed it. As for the characters, overall, I liked them, Sunny could get a bit whinny at times, but then again, I'm pretty sure I was really whinny whenever I was stressed out when I was sixteen...that might have just been me though. :)

Blood Coven Series, order it should be read:
1. Boys That Bite
2. Stake That!
3. Girls That Growl
4. Bad Blood (Just Released on January 5th, 2010!)

Also, if you enjoy the series, check out the Blood Coven Website. It's pretty cool! And you can join the Blood Coven yourself!

3 comments:

Alyce said...

I'm not really into vampire books at all, but this one sounds like it would be a very fun pick for that genre.

Bekah said...

How fun. I imagine one must watch out for boys that bite. It appears to cause a fair deal of trouble.

Tammy said...

I have read other books by her and she does seem to be able to get into the mind of a teenager-my teen readers love her! I think I will pick this one up-thanks for the review!