Thursday, October 28, 2010

Janice Gable Bashman: Interview

I want to thank Janice Gable Bashman for joining us today & answering a few of my questions! Read through to the end and find out how to win your own copy of WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil!

Jonathan Maberry,Janice Gable Bashman

Amanda: Thanks so much for being here today with us! Can you tell us about yourself?

Janice: I enjoy writing mostly anything—fiction or non-fiction, which is why my publishing credentials are so varied. I have published articles, interviews, short stories, book reviews, and now a book, WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE. I worked in television and film production during and after college on major league sporting events, commercials, and motion pictures. I also have a masters degree in clinical psychology and worked in that field for some time. These days I write full-time and I love it.

Amanda: When did you start writing?

Janice: About four years ago, I decided I wanted to write and see if I could get published. I began by querying local publications and sold a bunch of articles. Since then I’ve sold many articles to both local and national markets, and I haven’t looked back for one minute.

Amanda: Who have been your greatest inspirations?

Janice: Although I am indebted to a friend and mentor for believing in my writing abilities and guiding me toward the success I have achieved in a few short years, my greatest inspiration doesn’t come from one specific person. I am inspired every day by real-life ordinary people, people who I consider the heroes of this world: teachers, firefighters, those in the military and in law enforcement, and so many others who strive to make our world a better place.

Amanda: What are your favorite books/book genres?

Janice: I’m a huge thriller fan, but I also enjoy reading most everything—short stories, mysteries, horror, paranormal, etc. I always have a huge and varied pile of books waiting to be read and am open to suggestions in any genre. Bottom line: I love a great book.

Amanda: Can you tell us a bit about WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil?

Janice: WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE deals with the struggle of good vs evil in film, comics, pop culture, world myth, literature, and the real world. Everything from vampire slayers to paranormal investigators to FBI serial-killer profilers. It includes interviews with folks like Stan Lee, Mike Mignola, Jason Aaron, Fred Van Lente, Peter Straub, Charlaine Harris and many more.

My co-author, New York Times bestselling and multiple Bram Stoker award winner Jonathan Maberry, states, “Our book starts with good vs evil as a concept and then we chase it through philosophy, religion, politics, literature, art, film, comics, pop-culture and the real world. It’s such a complex topic, one that’s fundamental to all of our human experience, from evolution to the formation of tribes and society. We take a look at it historically, mythologically, in terms of storytelling from cave paintings to literature, we track it through pop culture and into our modern real world.

Don Maitz,Janice Gable BashmanThe book has a real sense of humor, too. We have fun with the topic as well as bringing a lot of information to the reader.

Plus the book is illustrated with forty black and white pieces and eight killer color plates. Artists like Chad Savage, Jacob Parmentier, Don Maitz, Francis Tsai, David Leri, Scott Grimando, Jason Beam, Alan F. Beck, Billy Tackett and more.”

Amanda: Where did you get the idea for it?

Janice: This book is the fifth in a series that Jonathan was writing for Citadel Press. He co-wrote two of the previous books with Bram Stoker Award-winner David F. Kramer who wasn’t available for this project. When Jonathan asked me to come on board, I jumped at the opportunity.

Amanda: What was your most surprising thing to learn while researching and interviewing for this book?

Janice: I really enjoyed talking with the many people we interviewed to get their take on the subjects. It’s so interesting to hear what they had to say about the struggle between good and evil. It doesn’t seem to matter if the fight occurs in fiction, on film, in comics, or in real life—it’s definitely a hard fight, and one in which both the good and bad guys are determined to win. These monsters are really evil—they’re demons and vampires, werewolves and nasty ghosts, villains and serial killers; and it takes a strong hero to kick evil’s butt. I also learned the many ways to kill a vampire, how to fight various mythic monsters, and what FBI profilers do in addition to profiling serial killers.

Amanda: After learning about all the different creatures and mythologies, what is your favorite paranormal being?

Jonathan Maberry,Janice Gable BashmanJanice: Hmm...that’s a tough one, but I’d have to go with vampires. They come in all shapes, sizes, and genders, and there are so many different varieties found in cultures throughout the world. We cover a ton of them in WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE, and it’s fascinating to see how they differ among cultures and in mythology.

Amanda: What are you working on now?

Janice: I’m finishing up a proposal for my next non-fiction book; it’s still under wraps so I can’t share the details at this time. I can say that dozens of key players are already on board for the project and it’s sure to be a fun one. I continue to write for various publications, and I’ll also be shopping a young adult novel shortly.

Amanda: Do you have a favorite Halloween/horror book, story, movie, or a haunted place that you've been?

Janice: First off, I must admit I’m a chicken when it comes to being scared in real life, so you won’t find me in a haunted place by choice, although I did promise a paranormal investigator/radio show host that I’d join him on investigation some time in the future. Books, stories and movies are a different beast. I love a good scare in a book or a movie.

Some good Halloween reads are: THE HALLOWEEN TREE (Ray Bradbury), OCTOBER DREAMS (edited by Richard Chizmar with stories by Ray Bradbury, Peter Straub, Dean Koontz, Ramsey Campbell, etc.), THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (Shirley Jackson), and Jonathan Maberry’s Pine Deep series (GHOST ROAD BLUES, DEAD MAN’S SONG, BAD MOON RISING) where evil comes calling in the “spookiest town in America” during the Halloween season.

Amanda: Do you do anything special for Halloween?

Janice: I love to dress up and go trick-or-treating, but, sadly, those days are long gone for me. Now, I’m the one handing out the candy. I do enjoy seeing all of the costumes the kids cook up each year; it’s amazing how creative they are.

Amanda: Thanks so much for joining us today and for being a part of the Countdown to Halloween!

Janice Gable Bashman is co-author (with Jonathan Maberry) of WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil. She has written for THE BIG THRILL, NOVEL & SHORT STORY WRITER'S MARKET, THE WRITER, WILD RIVER REVIEW, and many others. She is a member of the International Thriller Writers and Horror Writers Association. Visit Janice’s website at www.janicegablebashman.com.

 

Find Janice Gable Bashman around the web:

Website I Twitter I Facebook I LinkedIn I Goodreads

 

Janice has donated a copy of WANTED UNDEAD OF ALIVE to the Grand Prize Pack! So make sure you go ENTER HERE! US only.

Read my review HERE (will be posted shortly).

See all other Countdown to Halloween Events HERE.

No comments: