Friday, October 15, 2010

Guest Book Review by Rosey from Rosey’s Review: The Shining by Steven King

Well, I had hoped to get through a few horror books in time for Halloween, but I had a reading slump, and lots of review books to get through. So surprise, surprise I didn’t get to read anything extra. Thankfully, I found an awesome blogger, Rosey from Rosey’s Review, who volunteered to review a horror novel for us! Woo hoo! You’ve got to check out her blog, it rocks! Tons of fun going on for Halloween too!

First I would like to thank Amanda for having me! Amanda has a great blog, which it pains me to say, I have just recently discovered. I wish I would have known about it before! I missed out on so much!

I do things somewhat differently over at my blog. My reviews are short and sweet. I just don't review books either, I also review movies, TV Shows, and fashion. I hope you enjoy!

The Good:

SCARY!

The characters (especially Hallorann)

Good action

The contrast between personal demons and supernatural demons

The Bad:

Slow at first

King's overuse of parentheses to explain something that, IMO, was obvious

Verdict:

This actually was my first Stephen King novel *hides*. I know, I know :). It scared me good enough. I kept on looking out my window towards Mt. Hood. Timberline Lodge is where they filmed the movie. It was hard to get Timberline out of my head and try to imagine the Overlook as King described it. Also, all I could think about was "Here's Johnny!" LOL. I think a few useless chapters could have been cut out. I really didn't care for Wendy. She got on my nerves. I liked it well enough but didn't love it.

Grade: 6/10 Roses

Come visit my blog at: http://www.roseysreview.com/. I'm having a Halloween Extravaganza and a giveaway!!

Find Rosey around the web:

Blog I Twitter I Facebook I Goodreads

 

 

The Shining,Stephen King,book cover

The Shining by Stephen King 
Publisher: Doubleday & Company, Inc
First Edition Release Date: 1977 
447 pages

Summary:

Overlook Hotel claimed the most beautfiul physical setting of any resort in the world; but Jack Torrance, the new winter caretaker, with his wife, Wendy and their five-year-old son Danny, saw much more than its splendor.

Jack saw the Overlook as an opportunity, a desperate way back from failure and despair; Wendy saw this lonely sanctuary as a frail chance to preserve their family; and Danny?....Danny, who was blessed or cursed with a shining, precognitive gift, saw visions hideously beyond the comprehension of a small boy. He sensed the evil coiled within the Overlook's one hundred and ten empty rooms; an evil that was waiting just for them.

The Shining, by Stephen King, the undisputed master of the modern horror story.

Find Stephen King around the web: Website

3 comments:

draconismoi said...

I agree, The Shining is not his best work...though it does have one of the best movie adaptations. Go figure.

Rosey said...

The movie is classic Jack at his best :)

Amanda Leigh said...

*Ducks head* Haven't read the book or seen the movie. *hides under desk to avoid flying objects*

I need to add it to the list for my next scary movie marathon though. Maybe I'll skip the book for a while. Hmmm.

Thanks for the review Rosey! You're awesome!