Tuesday, October 12, 2010

This Week’s Featured Creature: Monsters

imageOk, so a good Halloween-y topic. Monsters! Though when it comes to books I’m interested in, categorizing monsters gets tricky. Some people would stick most of my favorite paranormal beings in this category along with many others. So what am I going to call a monster for our 'Featured Creature’ purposes? Whatever the heck we want to throw in there. Just remember vampires have to have their own week (come on, it’s ME) later, so I won’t be naming any vampires in this mix.

Last week we covered shapeshifters, so we really don’t need to go back over those or werewolves or such, unless you really want to do so. ;)

Well, I got curious what a few things might consider monsters as well. LOL! Here are the different definitions.

Monster:

  • any plant or animal of abnormal shape or structure, as one greatly malformed or lacking some parts; monstrosity; a person so cruel, wicked, depraved, etc. as to horrify others (YourDictionary.com)
  • an aberrant occurrence, usually biological, that was taken as a sign that something was wrong within the natural order (Wikipedia)
  • a creature, usually legendary or imaginary, such as a centaur or harpy, that combines parts from various animal or human forms; a creature having a strange or frightening appearance; a very large animal; one who inspires horror or disgust (Monstropedia)
  • huge being (Webster’s Dictionary-it’s old and on my desk and helpful for some things lol)

There are the well known monsters like Frankenstein, King Kong, and Godzilla. There are the ones that fill up urban fantasy and paranormal romance books today, like demons, zombies, fey, etc. Can’t forget about the monsters of legend and mythology like hydra, medusa, giants, I really could go on naming for a REALLY long time. Even what some consider the “prettier” beings are “monsters”, like unicorns, pegasus, and phoenix.

image Now what books do I like with monsters? Umm, most. Lol! Seriously, all urban fantasy and paranormal romances have to have some kind of being or creature in them and most have some kind of monster. Now a lot of my favs fall into the shifters and vampire categories, so they don’t really work for this, but some books I’ve loved do. Happy Hour of the Damned by Mark Henry has your zombies. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien has all kinds of fantasy monster goodness and badness. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling has it’s share of monsters, especially a wizard turning himself into the worst of all.

TV monsters? Buffy, Angel, Charmed, and Supernatural all top the list with both the freaky and fun!

image As for movies, there are a bunch of Frankenstein movies and remakes. I personally have a soft spot for older zombie movies, from black & white to the 80s. Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness provide me with much entertainment (plus Bruce Campbell is just awesome). Just expect a running commentary through-out the movie. I just can’t help it with those. Like is the random liquid exploding from the stab wound milk this time. Why? It was ketchup last time. Lol. Ok. I’m getting side tracked here. I’ll take my monsters with action, horror, comedy, or all three. Though I must admit that comedies on accident sometimes are my favorites. ;)

So what monsters do you like? Are you a big monster movie buff? If so, can you recommend some good ones?

3 comments:

draconismoi said...

You can't beat Army of Darkness....it is the King of all monster movies. And I am a Scifi (syfy) channel Saturday creature-feature addict, so I see a lot of monster flicks.

I've developed a more recent deep and abiding love for The Sphinx as portrayed in Subnormality (http://www.viruscomix.com/subnormality.html).

vvb32 reads said...

in film my fave monster is godzilla and in a book it would be zombies -the mean kind.

Unknown said...

I love Army of Darkness and the creature feature on Syfy. I really want to see Sharktopus. It has to be horribly good.